Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Men, Men Everywhere (Part Two)

So, to answer the question posed by my west coast reader - I think it's easier to meet men on the west coast.  BUT just as I wrote about Part One below, I think that's because of California Me.  California Me is like Regular (a.k.a. East Coast) Me, only more open.  When I lived in California, because it wasn't home, it wasn't familiar and it wasn't populated with all of my long-time friends and social circles, I didn't have a choice but to branch out.  If I wanted a social life, I was going to have to create it, rather than rely on my usual circle of friends.

As a result, I went to all types of events, hung out in various parts of town and accepted invitations I would have declined back in New York.  I wasn't always trying to meet men, but I did without much effort.  Now, I'm not saying they were all Prince Charmings.  Did I mention I'm not happily committed to an amazing man?  Right.  So take this (like all of my advice) with a grain of salt.  The lesson here is that I was living the experiment I wrote about in Part One, without even trying.

All of this means that you, my west coast friend, might have an easier time on the east coast.  But you also might want to try changing your approach right where you are.  I know single women in New York who think it's nearly impossible to meet a man here, or at least one who actually wants to commit (it can feel that way sometimes).  I know single women in D.C. who want to move because they think they will never get married if they stay there (I wasn't single when I lived there, so I wasn't attuned to the dating scene).

More and more I am coming to believe that love is not luck.  It is in our power to find love if we are open to it in whatever form it might take.  Blaming our current location might be convenient, it might even be supported by statistical evidence.  But I know that whenever I have made a point to be more open to all the possibilities around me, they have presented themselves.  Good luck!

No comments: